Thursday, April 23, 2020

My Experience Paying a Bill in an Italian Village During the Corona Virus / COVID-19 Crisis

It become February 21 when I unknowingly relocated to the Italian geographical region to hideout from the Corona Virus. At the time, this hadn't been my plan because I turned into engaged in other activities. I had spoken with a few friends and college students about the chance that the Corona Virus might slowly tour across Italy. Although I had wondered whether the virus should impact Italian exportation of cheese and comestibles negatively, it changed into clean that I and others didn't definitely consider the virus would go away a lot of a mark.

That same day, I heard there were a plague inside the Lombardy vicinity, sixteen showed instances! Yet, most people idea it can be contained. There become no manner that the Corona Virus could reach the Piedmont location, I idea. Most people brushed off this possibility, and lots of even went both to paintings and to high school with bloodless and flu-like signs that resembled COVID-19. I turned into suspicious, telling myself that it must were all in my head.

Then Piero advised me I would be better off no longer taking the usual teach to Borgomanero due to the fact infections had been growing and it would be a bit risky. Thinking that I changed into higher secure than sorry, I agreed to journey with him by using vehicle. Little did I understand that I might only return as soon as to Novara to choose up the objects that were vital to get thru the month! From then onward, I could be glued to the TV news in addition to the Internet information, which might arrive from sources internationally as I turned into interested by a extensive sort of viewpoints.

Not long in a while, all and sundry in Italy would be required to stay domestic so as now not to infect others or catch the virus. People ought to only go out to buy vital food, to go to the pharmacy, to pay a bill, or to consume and drink at a local espresso keep or bar. Villagers in Gattico-Veruno started to get out for nation-state walks in pairs if they resided collectively in the same houses. For a short duration, it turned into fine to peer human beings out and about, returning to nature in place of journeying to neighboring towns for entertainment. As we saw the gloomy information approximately the sufferers of Corona Virus, we stopped going outdoor, and soon the government required anybody to provide an 'vehicle-certification', stating their actual motives for exiting their homes or leaving their yards.

Despite my angst, the day eventually arrived to assignment exterior again, just to pay hire in America. I had called the owner to get an extension, but the operator who spoke back turned into clueless about all that had been taking place in Italy. They wished that hire money immediately, no longer knowing that the virus could soon arrive inside the States, too. It regarded like I existed in a sci-fi film, and my article about why humans loved zombie films became more applicable to my state of thoughts.

Armed with an 'auto-certification', hand sanitizer, and respirator mask, we hazarded out into the sunny open air. Few human beings have been round. First, I tried to get cash from the financial institution that become closed. Then I tried two ATM machines that were not working. Still hopeful, Piero and I went to the neighborhood post office in Gattico-Veruno wherein a type younger guy, likely in his forties, came out to help me use the ATM system that became still refusing to just accept my card. Next, I wanted to load an Italian debit card inside the publish workplace.

There became another masked lady in line who feared contamination. We were the only ones waiting, following the country wide decree to maintain area among each other. One of the clerks in his late fifties to mid-sixties seemed grumpy, likely as it was unfair that he had to work when most others have been at home. It turned into truely volatile for him to be there. Both of the clerks stated that the net turned into not running efficiently, and there was no telling how lengthy we might have to wait. They advocated that we go to any other post workplace.

Discouraged another time, Piero and I went to the neighboring village of Bogogno, a lovely little metropolis that jogged my memory of a portray with the aid of de Chirico because there wasn't a soul around. I could not help consider how I would really like to live there for an extended duration. Too terrible it changed into that the virus had invaded the country, making it impossible for vacationers to enjoy such surprising beauty! How ought to it be that this sort of small village can be uncovered to a harmful virus? I asked myself. If best God, who is represented in endless churches throughout Italy, heard our prayers!

Inside the Bogogno put up workplace, I discovered a gracious female in her mid-sixties who was sensible enough to put on latex gloves to deal with cash. She turned into operating behind a glass partition with a little hole at the lowest thru which coins, debit cards, and papers can be handed back and forth. Maybe she become relieved that I, too, turned into sporting gloves and a mask. She effectively took care of the transaction even as wearing on a pleasing communique with me. I turned into surprised with the aid of the way she could offer splendid, pleasant provider even as not wasting time. I failed to neglect to desire her fitness and safety even though one hesitates to say such things that might be understood through some Italians to deliver awful success.

As I exited the put up office, a stranger turned into about to enter. He turned into moving so fast, with out a masks, that I jumped lower back for worry of contagion. When he realized that we needed to hold a distance, he also distanced himself. Piero changed into looking ahead to me outside inside the distance as turned into required with the aid of law. Hastily, Piero and I made our way returned to the auto, me questioning what a disgrace it was not in order to revel in the sort of delightful village.

We did now not stop anywhere that I can don't forget on our way returned to Gattico-Veruno. I simply took a deep breath and searched for police that might question us. It seemed spring had started as there were lots of flowers redecorating the homes and gardens. The landscape looked serene while the dark, heinous Corona Virus lurked someplace accessible, unbeknownst to us.




No comments:

Post a Comment